Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Mistake I almost Made





*This is my first attempt short story writing, so feed backs are welcome
Disclaimer: The finale of the story is as such narrated to me by one of friends , when I was in school. *


It was a cold Monday morning, "Why is it the bed seems most cozy on Monday morning??" I wondered as I gazed at the Sunlight coming through the screens. I half hardheartedly got up switched the alarm off and checked the phone. " Hiii sweetie Krishna.. GM :), Cud we meet today evening at CCD ?? " said the sms from Radhika. There is nothing like a wish from your loved one that jump starts your morning. It was now 8 30 am, I had a meeting to attend at 10 30. So I went about my daily routine in the morning and was ready within one hour. Ideally one hour time would be good enough for anybody to reach their office in a bike , unless otherwise you happen to live in Bangalore, where there are 1000 people exactly like you are going to office at the same time as yours. I made it to the office just on time with 10 mins to spare. However thanks to the rains in the night, the basement parking had got flooded, I had to search for a new spot to park the bike. I hurried to the meeting room, hoping I was not the last person to enter the room, so everybody in the room wouldn't gaze upon me. I was surprised to find an empty room. Later on examining my mail, I found out that my manager had postponed the meeting, since he too was struck in traffic. " Bangalore traffic is one place where all people are treated equally irrespective of whether your Engineer,Manager or Vice President " I chuckled to myself.




Mondays are always hectic, today was no exception. But there is nothing that spurs you on to complete your work on time , not even a deadline, like a evening date with your girl friend. Four e mail replays, two hours of programming later, I was having my lunch. Beep Beep the phone rang , "Hii Krish .. I choose blue today ...Pick me up at 5 30 " it read. I was thinking what dress would she be wearing today; Its tough taking a guess , when you know a woman's wardrobe runs into three bureau's spanning more colors than your computer can display and you wardrobe will fit in two suit cases , nevertheless I replied " Ok will be there dear... I choose white .." . Its one of those silly games she played with me. It was Radhika's idea's where it would make us keep thinking about each other on the day we would meet .If she guessed my dress color, I would end up treating her, if I guessed her dress color, she would end up treating me and Yes , I would still end up paying, if we both got it wrong.I showed up ten mins late,only to find furious Radhika murmuring at me, " Idiot , you never show up on time for classes during college and you do the same here..." . I had to make a puppy face and blame it on some meeting in my office to get out. But women have this natural ability to figure out lies, which made me suck at lying . We left to CCD on the Brigade Road.


It was in college where I met Radhika. She was my chemistry lab partner and that's were our chemistry developed rather. Like most love stories in college, it started with me helping her out in experiments ,doubt clearing and then combined studies before tests. Before I figured it out , we were seeing each other.I considered myself lucky to have ended up with her. Also we worked in the same city. Bangalore being her home town and me from Chennai. It all seemed sweet dream , how we managed to get her Father's approval. Her father was an Senior scientist at HAL. I was just happy that he approved me, didn't insist on getting his daughter married to Govt job holder unlike the most Father's with Govt jobs do. We reached CCD. The smiling waiter came to our desk, " What can I server you sir?? " I went with two cold cafe latte's but Radhika corrected me and said " Three", I was puzzled. Before I could ask why three? She answered today I was going to meet somebody special, which made me even more curious. I was just hoping that it was not her Dad that would crash on our date.

The surprise visitor as it turned was her younger sister Vidya, who had returned for her study holidays from US. Radhika wanted me to meet her sister. Her sister showed up half an hour later wearing white tops with black jeans and big buckle belt with rings going around entire waist that stood out. She was as tall as Radhika though she was supposed to be younger. " So this is the guy that my sis has fallen for??" she uttered as I shook her hand. " Perhaps , Radhika mentions me while you talk over the phone??" I said, a pompous reply. She smiled back " No not really, she did tell me that she was seeing someone , but I came to know who only in India " . It was a bit of nose cut for me. Radhika then intervened to narrate our how I met her in college, followed by all that wooing escapades and the finale proposal in the final year college function. Vidya was amused by what she heard, soothing my dented pride.


After that I met Vidya, twice at forum, though during the first time, she was with her friends which meant just a exchange of a smile. The second time I met her during shopping. I offered her a lift to her home. Always helps to strike a chord with your future wife's family members. Two days after this I was busy as usual with work, until an sms " Krish.. Could you come to my home now.. its urgent..?? -Vidya " , I was more puzzled why was I receving an sms from Vidya, rather than Radhika. Nevertheless, worried something might be wrong I made to my girl friends home taking a break from work. The house was was big one. It was one of those silent neighbourhoods, where the only sound was from the movement of the trees due to the wind. I put my bike outside the gate.


Two knocks on the calling bell, nobody answered, the third time the door opened. It was Vidya who opened the door, it was the same dress she wore the first time I saw her, only difference was the tops had become even more shorter. I took seat on the sofa. She said she wanted discuss something looking flustered, She served me a drink, after which the words she spoke sent a shiver down my spine, " Krish.. I think I like you... I dont want to betray my sis... but I need to have you .." while speaking those words , distance between me and her decreased. She was literally on top of me, holding my shirt. She removed the big buckle belt that was around her waist and tossed it over the sofa. There is only that much an guy can control, though her hands were in those parts which switches of the logical part of the guy's brain,off, I somehow managed to push her away. She fell down from the sofa onto the ground. I was delirious as was she, " Krish... this is only one night stand, if your interested in me.. I will be waiting for you in the bedroom.. " She left upstairs.


I was confused has to what to do. Not many a times does a women throws herself at you like this. May be this an opportunity I thought to myself , " Choti Choti Shortcut..." lines from kaminey ringing in my ears. I didnt go after her, she came after me. To my annoyance something was poking at my pant;when I turned , I realized it was her big buckle belt which I pushed it aside. This made me remember that the usual irritating poking thing in front of my pant pocket i.e, the bike key was missing. I had left the key in the bike itself damn I said to myself. I walked out of the house to make sure bike was there and pick up the key. When I was out of the house , I saw Radhika's Father walking towards me. I was in literally shocked, totally at wits end has to what to do. I stood there still, with every beat of my heart getting louder as his footsteps got near. Radhika's Father spoke " I knew my daughter had faith in you, but I just couldn't believe you blindly, Hence I came up with this test for you .!!! ". "Huhhhh...", I gasped .Radhika's Father continued " If you had gone upstairs you wouldn't have found Vidya, but rather Radhika waiting to beat the hell out of you , Now I can proudly make you my Son in Law and arrange for engagement..". Now everything became clear to me, this whole thing was a game, if I had gone upstairs, it would have meant end for me and Radhika. By now both Radhika and Vidya came out of house. Radhika seemed the most happiest of all, with a relieved face, that I haven't failed her trust, she ran towards me to hug me. A warm hug it turned out to be.All I could ponder over was " Thank God, for the big buckled belt .!!! "





5 comments:

S said...

Well, what can i say? I liked it , nice storyline for a short story. Pretty good narration. Continue.

Ganesh Karthick said...

Hey hey thanks sima.... :)

Unknown said...

Age old Plot.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXzmh6fNxE

Have some creativity...

Ganesh Karthick said...

Did u read the disclaimer, I didnt say the story was mine.. it was told to me .. I jus narrated with my own spin ...

kowsalya said...

Story is quite gud!!!!!!

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger