Tuesday, September 9, 2008

ABCD


ABCD… I m not going to talk about English alphabets here, though the things I am going to talk about start with this letters. Let’s start

‘D’ for Dress or dressing sense to be more precise (If your friend of mine, I ought to be surprised for your raised eyebrow by now). Back in college days, I used to have really flashy, eye catching style of dressing. Well, as I have mentioned in my previous blog entry, liberal dress codes is one of many advantages at my office. It’s funny how people make use of this new found freedom with regard to dressing sense from college to office. The other day I was using the lift to move to the cafeteria. As the lift was moving up, my eye caught hold of a t-shirt. Natural intuition on my part was to read it, it said “I am a party girl, don’t Force me to Study ...! “. When I finished reading it, the other guy standing cross to me in the lift was giving me a really weird look. Then it struck me, what must have gone through his mind. I thought to myself, for God sake I was not staring at the women’s boobs, I was just reading the quote. First of all, people (guy/girl) who wears t-shirt with quotes wants other people to read them, so they shouldn’t be complaining for getting extra attention to their things. Another interesting thing I notice here is, people wearing socks with chapels which I thought was ridiculous in the beginning, but most people seem to do this in Bangalore. Then I see plenty of women wearing jeans and sleeveless t-shirts (Whether it looks good or not is entirely a different question, sometimes they bring out the wrong features to the fore, I seriously wonder what their boy friends say about their dressing sense..!!), I wonder why men don’t wear sleeveless t-shirts to office (What’s good for the goose, must also be good for the gander going by the feminist views). Sometimes it’s confusing with the jeans and t-shirts, like one of friends finds it hard to differentiate between guy and a gal from the looks at the back. Cant blame my friend for that, it gets even more difficult when your dealing women with short hair. Another interesting and unique style, I observed was the hippy style (to make it clear it’s the costume you see heroes wearing when they sing songs of advice in old tamil films), where people wear shawl over their t-shirts, just add a head band to this costume with a guitar, you will start looking like a hippy. Last but not least, its important to know your body when you dress, just because a dress looks good on Hirtik or Katrina doesn’t mean it will look good on you also ( though the self image that we have of ourselves is like that). To keep it simple, your dress should accentuate your right features and attenuate your anomalies, as a whole make sure your body looks symmetrical.





‘C’ here stands for Citibank with which I am bit frustrated about. Actually I received my first salary on the 1st day of this month. Something that will cheer me up for sure, But due to a series of unfortunate events, I am in a position where I have the money but cannot use it. The story goes like this I opened a Citibank account, with my name (first name, middle name plus the initial). For some people, the payroll guys in my company credited the salary directly to their bank accounts. The best thing about this was that those guys didn’t even give their a/c no’s to the payroll section. Some how the payroll people figured out the a/c no’s and credited the salaries. For the unlucky few, we got the salary as Draft’s with our name (last name, initial letter of middle name, last name). Here the problem starts, we can’t use drop in box for DD’s since the names in DD and a/c don’t match. So I need to go in person to get this sorted it out. Citibank caption says “ Citi Never Sleeps “ . But I am hardly able to find a Citibank ATM in the neighborhood, leaving my fuming friend to comment they should change the caption to “Citi Never Exists “. If I try to visit the Citibank after my work, they say sorry Citibank is closed for now, come in the morning. (Duh, Citi sleeps after 5pm and wakes up only at 9 30 am in morning, why have this incredulous caption). So to sum it up, current status of me and my salary is like you being with your girl friend in single room, separated by a veil; you both can’t kiss each other, because you both are separated by a thin veil, but you both can kiss the veil (like I can get my hands on salary DD)..!!

‘B’ for Bangalore. Well its, a sleep city. You have hotels here closing at 8 pm in the night on Sundays (Come on ya, Sunday is when people go out, closing hotels this early is ridiculous). Then there is MTR hotel (Annapoorna of Bangalore), where I tried eating twice, but both the times I was turned away with the waiter saying you need to book here before coming to hotel. Yes MTR might have dedicated members who come to the hotel, but there must be a place for people who come on ad hoc basis. It’s foolish to turn way new customers, who want to try eating there, since they didn’t book in advance. Then there are drivers in Bangalore who consider themselves Valetino Rossi’s and Schumacher’s when they start their bikes and cars. For god sakes, you have people driving their bikes on platforms in the morning where people walk. As a whole people in Bangalore, seem to show scant regard for traffic rules. Last but not the least, the one thing that I can guarantee here is, it rains here every evening, day in and day out.

‘A’ for attrition. Switching software jobs is like changing t-shirts to be frank. Everybody seems to be doing it. There is hardly anybody that I see who seem to be in the same company for more than three years, unless you are at the top of the ladder of course. The funny thing is nobody even has tint of remorse in switching companies. You see people boasting how they switched from Motorola to IBM to Goldman Sachs to MCE. Hmmm, to end this of I will say what my company India MD said, “I m not saying you to not to switch companies, but switch for the right reasons. Don’t switch because company A offers 20% higher pay than company B for the same job you’re doing in A. Switch to climb up the career ladder...!”





4 comments:

Unknown said...

you shouldn't be talking about 'dress' sense and traffic rules!!

Ganesh Karthick said...

kyun??? watz worng with dressing sense??? its way better than urs...


ur drivin is no better than mine...!!!

MW-SK said...

Im gonna comment on the "D"later :p
rest is interesting enough that i didnt fall asleep like i did on the first line of "oil on the boil" :p:p

Ganesh Karthick said...

thanq.... :P dumdum :P

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger