Monday, September 15, 2008

Heaven or Hell Rock On


What do you think; it’s like experiencing heaven and hell at the same time. Nah, I am not talking about the philosophical stuff (Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody is wants to die). Last week, I was in the middle of oracle training (just back from a demanding weekend at home) thanks to the vagaries of Bangalore weather, I got sick again. This time it was fever combined with body ache which made even sitting in cushion chair miserable for me. As the Tamil saying goes “ Kaiku eatunatu , Vaiku eatala “ ( You can touch the food with your hand, but not eat it with your mouth ) , that’s when my manager called me said we have a big team outing tomorrow, so come to PVR multiplex and after that for a dinner party. The thought running through my mind was, Why now God??? Why can’t they have the outing when I am feeling as cool as cucumber? Well, I was in dilemma that night, whether I should skip my first team outing or not because of fever. Eventually I ended up going to the movie and party, thanks to temporary relief provided by crocin. On a brighter note, I was able to hitch hike a ride on my manager’s car to PVR, rather than take a bus from my office. As far as the movie was concerned, it was ‘Rock On’, a Hindi movie (I hardly know any Hindi) so it was pretty much going to be a good sleep for me at the theatre. But as luck would have it, I got my seat next to one of my teammates who joined MCE along with me, who happens to know Hindi and also tries to speak ‘Taamil’ ( like Tamil heroines say “ Ennaku Ennaku Konchum Konchum Taamil theriyum “).

Well, the movie started with bunch of guys forming a self styled rock band called magic performing some song. Though I didn’t understand any dialogues, I decided it would not be polite to bug the person next to me asking her to explain the dialogues and spoiling her movie experience. So I decided to be quite, but it was like hell sitting in AC with shivering and fever at the theatre. I was at least able to identify couple of songs sung by Farhan Akhtar. The story goes like this, where bunch of guys forming a rock band participate in a rock contest, which as you might have guessed, they win. But when they sign the contract, one of the band member’s song is left out. This causes fight among the band members, the band breaks up. Fast forward into the future one of the guys is a investment banker leading a ultra cool life with a hot babe as his wife i.e., that’s Farhan akhtar. While one of the other guys in the band OSO fame Arjun Rampal is struggling to make a living. Now Farhan’s CBCID wife somehow discovers Farhan’s past hippy lifestyle. She even gets to see him getting it on with his former girl friend. Guess what happens next instead making a hue and cry with her husband for discovering his affair with ex- girl friend, she tries to reunite the band. (I guess a guy gets a wife like that only in cinema). As the story moves on, thanks to his bugging wife Farhan and others reunite the band. But one of the guys ends up having a brain tumor. So in order to fulfill his last wish, Magic band enters a rock contest performs together. We do have some sentimental mumbo jumbo thrown in by Rampal’s wife in order to make the climax slightly interesting. As a whole they movie is more like musical mixed with a gripping tale of male bonding. I wonder whether my teammate near was sad at the end of the movie, seeing one of the guys in the movie die. Though I did not have any sought of remorse, I was just dying to get out of theatre which seemed to be so cold, in spite of a hot girl sitting next to you. That’s what you call experiencing extremes of hotness and coldness.

Now after the movie we went to pizza hut. I hardly ate anything though there were plenty of things on offer thanks to my fever. Probably I thought in general women would eat less to maintain their figures, but I was wrong. It’s good to see that at least here the women are not influenced by the need to fit in size zero like Kareena. One of my friends even went ahead and had an ice cream in spite of the cold she had. I thought women could tie up their mouths and resist tempting food (Her cold got severe after that and she ended up going to the doctor the next day is another story). But I thought there was lot of food wasted during this dinner. Ya , it’s the company that pays the bucks , but people could have been reasonable in what they ordered. I can’t help wondering here I am having everything to eat, yet there are probably more people in this world leaving one meal a day during that time. I did embarrass myself by spilling a pizza slice while serving one of my colleagues. But probably by that time, my body ache had got so severe I wished I could lie down on the sofa next to me and sleep. On a funnier note, one of seniors in my team and my manager seems to be out and out Rajni fans. My Manager refuses to accept that even Kuselan is a flop (I think he might even be a member of Rajni fan club during his college days, may be even now he continues to be). When there was a question to a married lady at the table, what would she do, if she finds out the past life of her husband in which he had an affair with a girl friend? She said she will divorce her husband; I was not kind of expecting that from an Indian women. Hmmm, may be times have changed. But I did think she was conservative in her opinion to that question, unlike a left liberal like me. Overall, if it weren’t for the fever it would have been a far more enjoyable experience. As far as the rock on rating goes it’s certainly watchable movie for the first time.

Rating: 2.5 / 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger